Thursday, July 02, 2009

The Secret Frozen Yogurt Lab Revealed

We were eating out one evening when hubby told me he saw the purple cart of Froyo's Pure Frozen Yogurt in one of the alleys of a group of restaurants near pioneer. I did not want to believe him without seeing it with my own two eyes because the signage out front said Onstott's, a name that did not ring a bell, so i went to have a look see.



My first encounter with Froyo was at the Salcedo Market last February. As we were musing on things to fill our tummies, a cart in the middle of the walkway caught our attention because (1) i was beginning to really like frozen yogurt around that time and (2) the vendor was giving out free taste of the product like there was no tomorrow!



It was an instant hit as i loved the yogurts texture and flavors. I found out that a restaurant in Serendra sold Froyo and so in one of my forced book worm day review, i headed to Arama to get a taste of my new found fave. Sadly the yogurt served seemed a little too frozen and had lost that creamy texture i loved about my Salcedo purchase. I had always wanted to go back to the saturday market just to get my Froyo and so when i rounded the corner of one of the alleys where we were eating i was ecstatic it truly was Froyo! The yogurt bar and cafe is basic with a couple of tables and chairs, no particular interior decors except for the two large freezers that hold the most wonderful flavors of frozen yogurt.

there were frozen yogurt in tubs


and cups


i was surprised there were popsicle yogurt


and cake!


Because im the only yogurt crazed person at home, i had bought only a cup of the natural flavored frozen yogurt and went home a happy girl!

I was not surprised that a few days after, i was craving for more and so late one evening, i asked hubby if we could drive a couple of blocks to get me another cup. He of course agreed and we were there in less than 5 minutes. We found out that it was better to go to the yogurt shop from the back of the building. I had a heel wrenching time the first night i went to Onstott's as my high heels kept going through the designs of the walkway. If you enter the back, you're practically at the door.



When i entered the yogurt shop, i found Dave, the owner and vendor i had met at Salcedo Market. I had sort of made up my mind before coming over that i had wanted pistachio but Dave asked me if i was sure and started giving me tiny wooden ice cream spoon full of different flavors.


around this time, hubby probably started getting bored waiting and so started taking paparazzi shots from the car as he waited for me to buy my yogurt.

As i was indulging in my test test, i could hear a ruckus from the room which i suspect to be the kitchen. Pounding noises, of maybe ingredients of the natural yogurt.

By the time i had tasted a few flavors, (ok i had taste tested around 6 or 7 flavors!) i was a bit confused on what to get. They were all so good!!! Dave saw the confusion in my eyes and told me he could mix the flavors in the cup if i wanted and that made decision making a little easier (somehow). I chose vanilla and grape. Dave piled on the vanilla flavored frozen yogurt on top of the grape. He even added a few scoops in my cup and just gave me the lid to hold on to because the cup was so full!

From what i know, Onstott's Frozen Yogurt is made from New Zealand Milk and all natural ingredients to make the different flavors. Also, it does not have refined sugar so the sweetness comes mainly from the natural ingredients.


The vanilla yogurt was smooth and creamy, almost like ice cream except it had that zesty after taste i love in frozen yogurt.


I loved the grape flavor instantly when i sampled it. It was refreshing and a bit sweeter than the other flavors. My yogurt cup had a good combination of frozen yogurt flavors!

And my after dinner snack almost didn't make it at home as i was enjoying myself scooping the wonderful dessert giving my palate a creamy, sweet and zesty treat!

Dave said Onstott's was his little hide away. A simple shop at the back of a group of restaurants, hardly noticeable except for that sign out front.



Maybe its his secret lab where he develops new wonderful flavors of frozen yogurt, i thought...maybe i just have a wild imagination!

Onstott's is open 10am to 11pm there's parking at the back of the building where its easier to get to the yogurt shop.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=d43b68cb2b0e3026b97ec441029d2c3f